JOMO PRIDE BOARD MEETING MINUTES 3/11/2021
JOMO Pride Meeting agenda for 3/11/21
JOMO Pride Inc Pride Planning & Board Meeting Agenda
Thur. Mar 11th , 2021 @ 6pm
In-person Blackthorn Pizza & Pub
Submitted by Co-Chairs: Ron & Jaclyn
Call to Order
Roll Call – Approve Quorum
Board Members – Ron, Johnny, Jarrett, Misty, Loni, Jaclyn, Ashley(call in)
Others in attendance -Shayna, Jordan, Lydia, Blu, Mel
Approve Board Minutes Feb 25th – Passed with no objections
Approve Board Agenda for Mar 11th – Passed with no objections
1. Reports of Officers and Committees
A. Co-Chairs – Working on hotel sponsorship
B. Treasurer – Not present, check collected for $635, will have deposited.
C. Volunteer Director update – no updates
D. Sponsorship Director update – no updates
E. Vendor Director update – no updates
F. Marketing Director update – not present
G. Entertainment Dirs. update – no updates
H. Secretary update – no updates
I. Media Director update - Position available
J. Youth Liaison Director update – not present
K. At-Large Board update - Position available
2. Unfinished Business
A. 2021 Fundraisers -
Pride Pageant Fundraiser - Wilders Event Center - Date: June 26th
B. Show Me America Pageant - Misty to talk to Victoria asap. Was discussed we should give promoters/owners time to get pageant under new ownership at previous meeting. Ron spoke to Mariah/Pattaya and they are in the process of looking for new ownership for the pageant.
Ron – We approved it in the grant application, give it time to work itself out before we pull
the plug, it is part of the reason we got the funding.
Shayna – What would happen if we cannot do this?
Ron – We could lose grant funding, and opportunity to apply for funding in the future.
Loni – Set a date for cutoff of decision.
Shayna – Invite them to come and make a decision rather than waiting until it is no longer feasible.
Ron – Wait until this week to find out more information about new ownership, invite new
owners down to approve venue.
Misty – Book Vega for a regular show and have her take a look around for tentative
Ron – Will discuss further at next meeting.
C. Hot Checks - Ron & Jaclyn to call/visit prosecutors office
D. Waiting on invoice from GAYLY for sponsorship/ad exchange - quarter page $300/$500 Rainbow Sponsorship
Ron received invoice; quarter page ad is discounted. Senior editor email read by Ron. Deadline is June 15, they are at donation of $500. Ron drafted letter and let them know corporate sponsorship is already taken. Did offer a lower-level sponsorship to get a two page spread leading up to the event without having to pay anything out of pocket.
E. Marketing - IMMEDIATE NEEDS - contact BOOM, Camp KC, GAYLY by telephone to get procedure for ad sets & invoice, new pridefest logo, new jomo pride logo - THEN - Banner for pageant, full flyer for Pride & event page graphic with new logo (flyer must be approved by both MGA/CVB), Banner for Pride (Bodegas), new JOMO pride banner, hand fans, flyers, A frame signs, Tshirts
(Once pride logo/event graphic is up marketing $ to be spent on targeted promotions per JCVB grant)
- Tabled for next meeting and discus with Josh.
F. Discuss Turnabout Drag Show Fundraiser - gauge interest from the community - Discuss additional yearly fundraiser including preliminary costs and where we sit.
G. Carey/Treasurer - Check on state use tax exemption before payment to stage for 2300 purchase so we don't have to pay tax. Contact IRS and get us a new non profit tax letter sent reflecting our new address. Double check 990 is filed.
H. Hotel Partnership - Towneplace Suites by Marriott Joplin - Discuss contract
-2021 Deal: “Run of the House” – 10 rooms, double queens $92 (self pay). Additional 5 rooms single queen suites. 15 rooms total. 1 king, 2 room suite. Miss Gay America in suite. We have to book the 15 rooms, then we get the suite paid for. Potential savings of $450. Only confirmed 3 rooms so far. Ron is confident all rooms will book. Misty suggested getting access to the suite early to stage welcome package.
I. Four States Finest still going until the 18th, please vote and share.
Ron believes event is over.
J. Board members should be sharing posts from the JOMO pride page.
K. Vendor Director - Contact food trucks and get them to apply through link. Should be solidified within the next 30 days - Ron generated food truck list to contact
Will be completed on Tuesday.
L. Sponsorship Director - We have about 20-22 items so far and still need about 25 to go to pull the event off between bingo prizes and silent auction items so please help us reach out to people/businesses to donate.
Jaclyn will donate adult basked if necessary if we don’t get it donated.
Misty – Is Third Thursday launching again? – Yes, Ron, we need to make sure we have a booth.
M. Board positions - At-Large (open), Media (open) - make additional post online
N. AIDS Quilt –
Shayna – They are honoring previous obligations pre-Covid and want to focus on virtual viewing. Getting a physical piece is out of the question at the moment.
-Hillbilly Harlots – Drag nuns HIV/AIDS awareness, wants to invite them on the day of Pride.
O. Sara Cunningham - Founder Free Mom Hugs invited to pride. Ron spoke to Sara and said that a $200 stipend would be perfect and asked if we can give that to the national organization FMH. Also told her the board okayed her staying with us, she is asking if we could cover her stay for the entire festival. Check in on Fri 27th - Check out Mon the 30th. Discuss Motion – Vote – Renegotiate for 2 nights.
MOTION to approve 2 night stay for Sara Cunningham - Motion passes with no objections.
P. Ron is waiting on confirmation from BAM to replace Diversity.
Should know more in the next two weeks.
Q. Waiting to get member application for Minnie Hackney - $200 donation already approved.
Ashley will get update from Nanda, will ask for email to pride email.
R. Resources page –
We need items for the page.
S. Invoice/receipt needed for Robert Johnson (Bodegas)
Ron will get with Carey
T. Trailblazer Award
3 . New Business
Dola informed the group of a new petition to push Joplin Schools to hire EDI specialist. Dola will email documents for our review first thing in the morning. Joplin for Justice, BLM, and NAACP are issuing a press release; Call to action from Joplin for Justice for the Joplin School District to hire an EDI specialist. Dola asked if our Organization would commit support.
JOMO Pride will allow a table at Pride for Joplin for Justice to confidentially collect their personal stories and encounters within the Joplin School District that demonstrate the need to remedy the lack of a diversity expert within the district. Press conference is Tuesday, 3/16 at 5:30ish. This activity will assist in building support for a formal request that will be delivered to the school district later
MOTION to approve support for Joplin for Justice Activity: passes with no objections
Stage location/amenities discussion:
Main stage for Pride will be placed opposite the Blackthorn entrance. Grand Marshall will participate in the march, host three shows the first day, participate in the pageant the second day, host the mimosa breakfast and perform at Sunday night’s shows.
-Shayna – How many drag related shows do we have for the day of Pride?
Currently unsure, at least 3-4.
-Jordan –We need dressing room space.
-Shayna – Will sponsor camper where main stage entertainers can rest/dress. Shayna and Ron to discuss placement on-site.