March 26th, 2021
Pride Planning & Board Minutes 3/25/21
JOMO Pride Inc Pride Planning & Board Meeting Minutes
Thur. Mar 25th , 2021 @ 5:15pm
In-person Blackthorn Pizza & Pub
Submitted by Co-Chairs: Ron & Jaclyn
Call to Order
Roll Call – Approve Quorum
Board Members - Ron, Jaclyn, Carey, Johnny, Ashley, Misty, Josh, Victoria, Jarrett 9/10
Others in attendance - Haley, Lydia, Ray, Natalie, Raven, Sadie
Secretary not present, motion to take notes and post minutes by Ron & Jaclyn, no objections
Approve Board Minutes Mar 11th - no objections, approved
Approve Board Agenda for Mar 25th - approve as is with the addition of a Rotary Club speaking request, approved with no objections
1. Reports of Officers and Committees
A. Co-Chairs – $635 check, met with Jarrett about food vendors, assisting with donations, press release for April 2nd fundraiser made, updated and posted contract on website, contacted news for write ups, made a new Insta & Twitter. 100+ followers on Insta, 25ish on Twitter. Over 3k likes on Fb and 3,150 followers
B. Treasurer – 8,609 in account before 635 deposit and payment from Misty
C. Volunteer Director update - Volunteers needed April 2nd
D. Sponsorship Director update – Collecting donations
E. Vendor Director update - Met with Ron, will contact food trucks
F. Marketing Director update – not present during updates
G. Entertainment Dirs. update - no update
H. Secretary update – not present
I. Media Director update - Position available during updates
J. Youth Liaison Director update – not present
K. At-Large Board update - Position available during updates
2. Unfinished Business
A. 2021 Fundraisers
Pride Pageant Fundraiser - Wilders Event Center - Date: June 26th
B. Show Me America Pageant Discussion - Ron has been in contact with Mariah and Vega. They were still searching for new owners for the Show Me Pageant. Board discussed giving a timeline to have everything solidified by. Entertainment directors brought up that although we agreed to have their pageant at Pride we can’t wait until last minute to have things figured out, we agreed to do this to help both us out, for extra events during our Pride and also a pageant that just lost their host location, but we agreed to do this when everything was together and in-line. Ron discussed if we wait to long and it falls through then we won’t have time to adjust the JCVB grant application and amend it which could cause us to not be awarded future grant monies - We have to have this resolved sooner than later. Board discussed needing to do what is best for our organization and event. Misty motions to cut the pageant from Day 2 of JOMO Pride, motion is seconded by Victoria. In favor of proposal 8, 1 nay, 1 abstain, motion carries. Ron to contact pageant promoters
C. Hot Checks - Ron & Jaclyn to call/visit prosecutors office
D. Apply for Third thursday booth in June/August? Was discussed to booth in June and hand out flyers in August - Carey to apply for booth and make payment,
E. Marketing - IMMEDIATE NEEDS - Josh to finfish and submit logos for JOMO Pride Inc & JOMO PrideFest so artwork and ads can be created. Then ads for GAYLY, BOOM, CAMP need created and sent in before the deadline on May 1st. Then banners and other promotional material to be created.
F. Discuss Turnabout Drag Show Fundraiser - July 24th - 930pm -Mel from Blackthorn & Carey from JOMO Pride Board, still looking for others to assist. Will follow up with Visitors Bureau and Chamber.
G. Carey/Treasurer - File 990 for 2020, Check state use tax exemption, get new IRS non profit certification letter reflecting new address. Call Towneplace Suites by Marriott and give Shannon our CC info to put on file, pay Minnie Hackney $200, pay Chase & entertainers for April 2nd fundraiser, scan the GAYLY contract and email it back, Scan the Minnie Hackney application and send it back in email.
H. BAM to perform instead of Diversity. $600 payment - Grant needs reworked to reflect this change. Need to hold out until all other changes to pride are solidified.
I. Resources page - make post. Compile statewide lgbtq non profits and add to list. Mental and physical health resources need compiled. Youth Liaison Director to asssit. Post to be made from JOMO Pride page, and sent to Carey with link to “Get Listed”
J. website - Ron to get with Patrick to finish vendor/sponsor log in area with check in/rules processes etc, replicate how pageant page works on the JOMO PrideFest event tab to easily input and change information as needed, Eventually will need to have another application for vendors to apply for both days. Right now they can only apply for the festival instead of specifying day 1 or 2. We are reaching out individually to get vendors to apply x2 if they want to booth at day 2.
K. Board positions - At-Large (open), Media (open) - Nominations - Natalie Murray, and Raymond Gall. Natalie is interested in At-Large as well as Raymond. After discussion Raymond will accept Media Director position and Natalie will accept At-Large position. Both Natalie and Raymond were appointed to their respective positions. Post to be made from JOMO pride page. Loop new members in.
L. Discuss possible PrideFest COVID safety protocols - Other festivals that are starting back up are starting back with covid restrictions such as booths spaced apart, sanitizing stations, recommending face masks, and keeping as much congregation of crowds in the open air. Will discuss more with JCVB and health department and other festivals to get more guidance. Discussion tabled.
M. Discussion of incident stemming from previous meeting
N. Rotary Club request - Message from a representative of the Joplin Rotary Club requests a rep from JOMO Pride to take part in a speaking engagement at the Rotary Club about LGBTQ issues & our organization. Carey will find out more info and see if a panel discussion is something that would suit the event and attendees better. Will contact and touch back with the board.
O. Raven from Springfield GLO stopped by to introduce herself and the trans support group she also represents. Will send us information on safe virtual support group meetings which meet Sunday from 3-5. Board would also like her their group to booth with us during Pride. Ron to send link to apply.
3 . New Business
Leave a Reply.